Happy New Year!
I hope everyone had a super break. I look forward to seeing the kids tomorrow!
1. Graded Assessments will be sent home on Friday. Some will have a sign and return line on them, simply because I have to keep some tests. There is a note attached to the science tests explaining the reasoning for both - read through and contact me if you have questions. firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Report cards are coming home Friday. You may keep the actual report card. Please sign the card inside the envelope and send both back together Monday. The envelope should not be sealed.
Here is what we'll be working on for the next week +
Media center - book check out - will be WEDNESDAY this week. Please bring books back for new ones! (Back to normal on Friday next week)
1. Words our Way. Sort 14 this week. (spelling)
Starting the week of January 11th (next week). We're going to have a mini spelling test every Friday. It will only be about 5-10 words but they will need to be used in a sentence and spelled correctly. We will be working on spelling AND sentence structure a good bit this quarter. Collectively, this will help them develop their vocabulary and become better sentence writers. In return - it will enhance spelling, reading comprehension and science/social studies comprehension, as well. . I'll touch more on this in next week's blog.
2. Reading/Language Arts: Making inferences- piggy backing on context clues and diving deeper into our stories. (this will stretch over all subject matters).
**Sentence structure - a bunch
3. Social Studies: Jackie Robinson, civil rights, need for rules and laws.
4. Math: Skip Counting- this is a continuation of skills touched on previously.
5. Writing: Opinion pieces. Introducing topics, state an opinion & supply reasons that support their opinion.
Upcoming field trip - February 10th. This is a performing arts trip. We are going to the Ballet! At the beginning of the year, a performing arts permission slip came home (along with a donation option). The donation was not mandatory but the permission slip was. :) --- I am missing 4-5. If I am missing one for your child, I will send home a new one this week - it has to be returned for your child to attend.
Thanks for the help!
And.. one more permission form will be in folders this week. Tritt 2nd and 4th graders are in a study group for a program called Revved Up! This is a self-defense program that teaches the kids life skills. Our study group consists of a group coming in, giving the kids a quick quiz 3-4 times. Upon completion of the quizzes... they will collect the data, teach a quick class with the kids (consistent of PE style activity) and then reassess the kids at the end. I simply need a "yes" my child can participate or a "no" they cannot. It's a 2 sided form. One side explains the program (better than I can at this stage) and the other is for you to sign. Please send those back in no later than Monday. Thanks!!
As always, please contact me with questions, concerns or celebrations!